Being involved in an accident can be a nerve-wracking, disorienting experience.
That’s why this Accident Report Guide was created. It is intended to help you gather the information needed in the event of an accident. While we hope you never need this information, it’s here if you do.
It might be helpful for you to print out this information to have, with your insurance ID card in the glove compartment of the insured vehicle.
In the event of an accident, please remember to:
- Never “Make a Deal” for damages
- Never leave the scene of even a minor accident
- Never accept an offer of cash, check, or “private” settlement.
- Never offer to pay for anything even if you think you are at fault.
- Never administer first aid unless you are licensed to do so.
- Always (when conditions permit) move to the shoulder of the road or other “safe area” to prevent further damage
- Always ask someone to summon police and seek medical assistance. Repeat at 5 minute intervals until help arrives.
- Always remember the 3C’s: remain calm, courteous, and consistent in your version of the accident.
- Always obtain complete information from those involved.
- Always complete this report at the scene– not later on.
- Always obtain the names of witnesses including addresses and phone numbers.
- Always notify the owner of the car you are driving as soon as possible.